Koz

George wrote:

Peltier devices (also known as TEC, thermo-electric coolers, and TEG,
thermo-electric generators)
are solid state devices that transfer heat (or cold) from one side of the
device to the other. Or, they'll
produce a voltage in response to a temperature differential. The normal
temp differential from the
"hot" side to the "cold" side of the device is about 50 degrees Celsius (a
LOT more than any pet would
like), BUT you still need to move the heat off the "hot" side if you're
trying to cool (think heat sink and
fan) AND circulate the air on the "cold" side. It is really made for
cooling surfaces, I don't know how
successful you'll be in cooling air. Why don't you report back if you
pursue this?

George

Some of the 12v coolers for cars use em for air cooling. Very slow to
actually cool anything but work ok at keeping cold something that's
already cold. Probably just undersized when used in this application
due to cost.

Anyway...because they work based on creating a temperature differential,
isn't there an application where the are stacked to reach VERY cold
temps? You'd have to pump one hell of a lot of heat out of the final
stage but it might be interesting to see just how cold one could get the
cold side.

Koz

BTW--You supply a DC voltage to the Peltier device to get it to cool/heat
and you may need to look
up its specs to find out exactly what voltage to supply. Also, Peltier
devices tend to be small and pricey.

"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in message

Anyone know anything about Peltier coolers. A friend of mine wants to cool
12"x15"x30" glass vivarium a maximum of 20-30 degrees farienhieght below
ambient temperature. It's long term for a salamander. A friend of hers got
her a surplus Peltier cooler. Which I installed. It didn't drop the
temperature very much inside the vivarium. After doing some research I

don't

think it's powerful enough. As far as I know she doesn't have any specs on
it.
So the questions a
Is this a good way of cooling in this situation? Got any better

suggestions?

Would house insulation sheet foam on 5 sides make an appreciable

difference?

My first suggestion was air-condition the room but she doesn't like
air-conditioning. I'm in Hawaii so ambient temperatures are 59-90
farienhieght.
Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Karl