What I am complaining about is that it Social Security could be a lot
better and provide more to those that really need it.

Consider that I started paying into Social Security in 1951 and stopped
in 2005 ( Yeah I worked a little this year ). There has never been a
time where diversified investments did not produce a positive return
over a period close to that. So I disagree that I could have ended up
with less than I put in.

This is not to say that I have never made an investment that tanked. I
have speculated on small companies, and lost everything. But some of
those went the other way. Take a look at what $1000 dollars invested
in Nuclear Corp of American in 1960 would be worth today.

Dan

jim rozen wrote:

What you call 'so little' may be a lot for some folks. Remember,
there's always the chance that your investments would have gone
*down* and not up. That you would have wound up half of what
you put in, or nothing at all.

Jim

please reply to: