papo

"Jeff Rigby" wrote in message

Bad picture tube can cause your problem. Sony's early models would blank
the video until the beam current from the tree tubes balanced (for white
balance). IF the beam current never balances then you never have any
picture.

Would you infer that Sony was aware of this flaw?

This happen with my set after the first year, the flyback transformer was
replaced,
but now after 4.5 years out of warranty now, it is happening again. Before,
it would blackout forever. Today, it is a 2-3 second blackout sequence.

What is bothering me though is this:

The problem started to act up again around September, 2004. As long as we
didn't turn off the TV, it all seem fine. But in December, it began to go
totally black. Unplugging it, waiting 30 seconds, etc, seen to fix it.
We were in the process of moving to a new home, so we wanted to get settled
first before addressing the issue. At the new home, we turned it on and it
was working again for the entire month of January, but we didn't turn off
the tv.

Now, for the past week or so, it started to go black again, but this time
with the 2-3 second cycle.

So what happen during the move? Did we have a loose part maybe? Or it just
a bad tube period?

I have an urge of knocking it around to see what happens g