papo

"Alan Harriman" wrote in message
There are lots of much better brands like toshiba. Even sanyo is likely

be an improvement over the sony.

I hear ya.

I have a 22 year old Toshiba TV and still kicking. I was thinking
Panasonic. Always had good experiences with Panasonic products. But I
wonder if these days, even Toshiba, Panasonic QA is still the same.

Thanks for the suggestions: Toshiba and Sanyo.

I disagree about Sony. They are a quality set with an excellent picture

when
working properly. However, I would rate their reliability as average,

perhaps
even a little below average overall. The brands I recommend are Sony,

Toshiba,
Panasonic, Hitachi and Mitsubishi.

Alan Harriman

Ok, Thanks Alan. Of course, I recognized, it is all subjective and
relative.

But what does that mean? Working Properly vs. Reliability?

You are saying its a great TV but don't expect it to last long?

Sound like a product/component life QA cycle problem.

Oh, I was sold when I brought it. We were happier than pigs in mud. The
extra for the 2 tuner PIP was more than I expected but it was worth it.

But I don't expect the parts to go bad after 1 year, to be repaired under
warranty and then a little after the warranty expires, it goes bad again?

4 years life span for a $1599 TV?

Is this what is to be expected these days by consumers?

Or maybe it is just something special with the Sony technology with the
"video switching" that is faulty?

A friend just ditch out $4500 for a HDTV. It has all kind of stuff. He's
licking his chops. I am wondering when it is going to break on him.

What I am wondering now if I have to go out and by a new TV what would be
cross point of Cost vs. Features vs. Needs because with the new frontier,
convergences of TV/computers, etc, with all the new advanced components, we
really don't have enough engineering time to see how long these things last.

For $4500, I want something to last me atleast 10 years or more after
warranty. Is this unrealistic these days? 5 years after Warranty? Or is 4
years the maximum expectancy these days?

-- Papo