DaveD

"New & Improved - N/F John" wrote in message
1. Cut off the loose wall board
2. Using construction adhesive in a caulking tube, glue thin wood such as
piece of yard stick to the back of the wall board (inside the wall)
3. Glue a piece of wall board on to wood support.
4. Patch with wall board compound (follow instructions on package.)

What's is your opinion?

My method for fixing such holes is as follows:

1) If the punch out is in one piece, save it.
2) Make a support board to place behind the hole. I usually rip a 2x4

about
1/2" thick and 5 or 6 inches long.
3) Put a temporary drywall screw in the middle of your board to hold it
tight against the inside of your hole, while you put a couple of screws
in
your board to hold it in place. Remove your temporary screw.
4) Screw your saved piece (punch out) to the support board you installed.
You can make a replacement with a hole saw, if your punch out is broken
up
or lost inside the wall. A rectangular patch works too of course,

depending
on your hole.
5) Mud/tape and sand as required. Makes a nice patch.

I also use this for repairing any holes I made to fish wires.

One additional method just for grins. I don't see any single method being
intrinsically superior to another:
1-Cut a square/rectangular hole be sure to make it large enough to get all
damaged drywall. When you make the cuts, bevel the edges at about
30-45degrees making the outer edges wider than the inner edge.
2-Cut the patch with beveled edges to fit. The beveled edges will ensure
that the patch will not fall through the hole.
3-Butter the edges of the patch with drywall mud and insert it in the hole.
4-Tape, mud, sand the patch as required.

Just my two cents worth.
Dave D