Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:55:58 GMT, "SteveW"
wrote:

I need to find a type of tree to plant that will give me good quality
firewood in a short amount of time. Someone mentioned Poplar to me. Does
anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Steve

Not wood, but have you considered a corn stove? There are corn-burning
stoves that produce good heat similar to the pellet stoves. Corn produces
7000 BTU/lb. Since corn weighs 56 lbs per bushel, a good midwest yield of
200 bushel (conservative) per acre would yield 78.6 million BTU per acre
each year from the shelled corn. You could also harvest the cobs and
stalks for additional fuel (realizing that somewhere you are going to have
to put some of those nutrients back into the soil). A sophisticated
operation could utilize a dual system, with one burning the kernels, the
other, if you could locate the equipment to pelletize the stalks could burn
the straw as pellets.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody