Craig Graham

Default Fridge freezer annoyance

Dave Baker wrote:

What can happen is ice builds up on the temperature sensor which
stops it sensing properly so it stays on 24/7. Try defrosting it
fully, getting all the ice out from behind the freezing panel,
setting the knob to its minimum setting and then see what happens.
Adjust it up in tiny stages if it works but stays too warm. On mine
you only need to have the knob a tiny bit too high and it freezes
solid but get the setting right and it's fine.

The knob IS at the minimum setting. It's against a slight point of
resistance which prevents it being accidentally switched off.

There is ice, but not around the temperature sensor. To reduce the risk of
damaging the new thermostat as I put it in, I've left it coiled up as far as
possible as it was in its original packaging and slightly away from the back
panel, so it's sampling the air temperature. However, I'd have thought it
would be *better* from my point of view for the sensor to be buried in ice;
it should then always be below the switch-on temperature and the fridge
wouldn't start until the ice had thawed. Which would be a major problem in
summer of course.

The freezer part won't be controlled by the fridge knob. It'll be
preset to a given temperature.

But there's only one compressor. This means there cannot be independent
control of the freezer.

--
Dr. Craig Graham, Software Engineer
Advanced Analysis and Integration Limited, UK. http://www.aail.co.uk/