HerHusband

I was out in the garage this morning, further pondering my ladder storage
situation...

I looked into the "Little Giant" ladders another poster mentioned, but I'm
still a bit skeptical and don't really have that kind of extra cash right
now anyway. It looks like a nice system though.

Brian,

I have 4 extention ladders like you, 2 I frequently use, 2 maybe once
a year. What I did with mine was to use 2 large bicycle hooks (2 per
ladder, 8 total) on the ceiling, the other end uses a nylon cord and
a small pulley (1 per ladder, 4 total), again mounted on the ceiling.
I put one end up on the hooks, wrap the cord around the other end (I
use an "S" hook and just put it around the cord), pull the cords and
tie them off to cleats I mounted on the wall. Gets the ladders up
within 3 or 4 inches of the ceiling.

JimmySchmitts,

I do the same thing, it works great, the biggest hassle is that they
are above the garage door, so the door has to be closed to get the
ladders down

If I'm understanding your description, your ladders essentially hang flat
up against the ceiling? I like this approach, but I forsee a few problems:

1. The garage door has to be closed to get the ladder down.
2. It would be difficult to take down the ladder if there was a car or
woodworking equipment in the garage. Not good if the car is up on jack
stands and I suddenly need a ladder!
3. My long ladders would extend out into the room, reducing headroom for
swinging boards and plywood around.

However, with an eye towards the ceiling, I "think" I have found solutions
to my ladder storage...

My two smallest ladders are short enough to stand vertically on the floor.
So, I think I'll just install a couple of vertical dividers and stand these
two ladders next to each other (with the edges against the wall). I use
these two ladders the most, and this would allow easy access to either of
them.

The two larger ladders should fit nicely above my side entry door between
the wall and the garage door track. Rather than hang them flat like you
have, I will probably hang them on edge from the ceiling. This will let me
take each one down individually. But, I need to investigate a few options
for hanging them. I may use one of those rope/pulley hoists systems made
for storing bikes. Or, I may just build something similar to your method.

I can't really use the space for anything else anyway because of the entry
door, an electrical panel, and the garage door tracks. The ladders would
utilize the space nicely, and would be accessable even if a car is in the
garage or the main door is open.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Anthony