Jim Yanik

"Colbyt" wrote in
:

"jj3000" wrote in message
om...
What is the best way to repair a hole in the wall that was punched in
by a door handle?

My first thought is to use those steel mesh things that you just
adhere over the area, mud, sand and texture.

Recently I also learned that you can cut out a square/rectangle and
install a piece of replacement sheetrock held by "instabacks" - those
brackets that allow you to anchor sheetrock adjacent to sheetrock.
Or use a couple pieces of wood behind the wall might work for this
purpose also. The problem would then be I have to mud and tape 4
sides which I'm not the best at. I have tried this in the garage and
looks decent but I'm not sure if I am up for it for inside the house.
Or maybe this technique might be better for bigger holes.

So I am thinking that with my skills.. the mesh patches might blend
in better rather than being able to see a subtle rectangular repair.

What's is your opinion?

Cut it out enough to get a couple of scab boards behind the hole.
Secure them in place. Add the drywall patch. Finish two sides at a
time. Getting in a hurry and trying to do all 4 at the same time
results in frustration and an inferior job for most of us.

So whole cares if it takes a week to do it right as long as it looks
great when you are done?

Colbyt

I pick up some paint mixing sticks(free at HD) to use as back supports for
wallboard patches;glue or screw them in,and the same for the patch.They cut
easily,score them with a utility knife and snap off what you need.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik