Newbie

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

| "Newbie" wrote in message
| .. .
| Any opinions on this drill? Looks like it has a decent torque of 300
| in/lbs.
| and lots of juice.
|
| 300in'lbs out of an 18 volt drill is really pretty bad.

300 pounds of torque is plenty, from however many volts it comes from. I am
not out to make efficiency test ratings. Besides, if 18V DeWalt delivers
400lbs of torque, is it really that significant? This reminds me of
discussions between hair-splitting audiofiles who would obsessively look for
amps with lowest possible distortion without realizing that it mattered
little (within reasonable limits) in practice.

| My "12 volt" Makita
| drill has 310 in/lbs with about 50% less battery weight and my Makita 1/4"
| hex impact driver delivers 1100 in/lbs. I got both with a charger and 2,
| 2.6 amp batteries for $197.

So here is my question: Within 300lbs torque range, is it not better to go
with higher voltage?

| What in particular
| make this drill inferior to Makitas, DeWalts, PCs etc.?
|
| Lack of Quality and the guts to make it last for years of every day use.

Sorry, this is too general for me. That's why I asked "in particular"...What
aspect of quality? Chuck? I see as much plastic on most of DeWalts. Gears? I
think Skil makes them similar to the others, no? They do offer 2 year
warranty as compared to DeWalt's one year. I don't know...I think with tools
as with cars there is a status symbol. You'll pay twice as much for Mercedes
compared to Lexus, despite the tests showing the latter to be a better car.