tiredofspam

How does it outperform solid wood? Most solid hardwoods can handle loads
in excess of PLY?

Yes ply is acceptable... absolutely.. but I don't know other than price
how it outperforms solid hardwood.

I like the spline and reglue idea, but with my luck I would be out
enough to not be able to clean it up without sanding thru..

I don't suppose you are using the Plano panel clamp.... which has
integral cauls... or the other variant ... using 2x4 that have been cut
in half... it would seem the only way to quickly assure a clean joint.

B a r r y wrote:

Larry Bud wrote:

Making a DVD cabinet, and was thinking of saving some $$ to use oak ply
for shelves and edge them. Anything wrong with this?

Only if you're selling it and representing it as solid wood, fine
furniture.

For items like shelves, built-ins, and cabinets, plywood can actually
outperform solid stock. I've even cut plywood, splined it, and reglued
it to create a glued-up board look. Carefully done, with plywood made
from good quality veneer, it's quite convincing.

Barry