Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Gary Stone" wrote in message
news
Hi, I'm new here. Please excuse my ignorance as most of my adult life I

have
lived in apartments and assisted living centers due to MS. Well, I was

able
to get out of my wheelchair and got a grant to buy a house. Wow! what a
health benefit that has been. Question, My thermostat is a Honeywell

(round,
heat only) 2 wire 24 volt, there is a sticker in there that says T87F1818

2
7921 and the furnace is a Luxaire model GSU082MF series NAGOE,(that could

be
a Q) It's set up for propane. If I set the thermostat to say, 62º the
furnace will come on at 66º and shut off at 70º. Is this normal, or is it
time for a new thermostat. If time for a stat, are the programmable ones

any
good?

Thank you

Stone
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffeemaker.

The T87F is the most popular and some argue, the best thermostat put out by
Honeywell, and with the right sub-base, can run a heat pump, electric heat,
oil..etc..
There is a normal 4F dead band in the stat, so your on at 66 and off at 70
is normal when set to 68F
you have one of two problems with the stat...one you can do, and one you
cant do...unless you have the right tool.

One, its not level. 99.9% of the time, thats the problem. level it and the
unit will work fine.
if its working as well in the dead band as you state, do NOT adjust the heat
anticipator unless after you level it, its overshooting by more than 2
degrees. then, the anticipator setting will be located on the gas valve on
the unit you have.

The second and least likely issue is that its out of calibration, and should
that be the case, you can buy a new one for less than what most will charge
for a calibration.

Digital stats are fine, as long as they dont say Lux, or Hunter on them.
Programmable....on a unit with no AC...up to you, but a waste really.

As far as that furnace goes, IF its the one that I find in my YorkNet
program, have it serviced by a licenced york, luxaire or coleman dealer and
it should go till it quits. Good units.