dak

Michael Baugh wrote:
Sure.
I used to do it the regular way.
Got pretty good at it, too. Had a good 'eye' for
the mortar consistency, amount, bedding the tiles
in, everything. I'm just a home handyman, but one of
my tile jobs was sufficient to have people asking me
for the name of the remodeler that did it.
Problem I saw, though, was that the concrete-based
material was the weak link. You always had to assume
that water was going to get through the grout, behind
the tile, potentially into the wood. From the edge of the
tub, or by wicking between the tiles, or wherever.
So I started doing it differently. Nowadays, I use pure
white NONPAINTABLE 50 year silicone to bed the tiles
into place, and the same stuff to form what was previously
the 'grout lines'. Plenty between them, pressing the excess
outwards to be wiped off and used to bed the next one
down.
Anybody can do it, and Greenboard is all I use, because
water is not going to be a problem.
I've described it in detail a year or so ago, doing the Google routine would
get it. The one I was discussing then was using
a tile pattern called "Arctic Ice". It matches with the silicone
so closely that it looks like it was made for it.
The tiles were less than a dollar each for the 35 I used, I
insulated the wall with Styrofoam first, to the edges of the
studs. When I put in the Greenboard, it was seriously solid.
Then the tile, as described. Took a day to do it, and was able
to stop for a break most any time.
Total cost for materials less than $100. And a few years later, nothing to
do but give an occasional squirt of "Scrubbing Bubbles" to bring it back to
looking like new. Never, ever a
hint of mold or mildew, no chilly walls, no grout lines that are looking
ratty.
Did that answer your question?

"LBaker" wrote in message

You want to explain that one? I have to hear this...

Golly - guess I should have that shower pulled ASAP.
Clearly I bought a substandard job. Those tile guys just
aren't as smart as you....