ASE

Thanks, I should have made it clear that if this involves anything more
than changing the switch or perhap a simple repair to the fixture
itself I ain't touching it. That's why I put in the cha-ching, for
having to pay someone to do major work involving ripping out plaster.
I'm just trying to do a minimal amount of diagnostics myself.

The real point of my post is, can I put any stock in my minimal wire
testing? Does using the cheapie tester the way I did indicate there is
no juice at either the switch or the fixture? And if that's the case,
is the only option hiring someone who can try to find a problem
somewhere in the wiring behind the walls?

Joseph Meehan wrote:
ASE wrote:
Ceiling light fixture was blinking in and out. Replaced the switch
(single pole, no outlet or anything else in box). Now nothing at

all.
Old house, mostly old wiring (knob & tube). $2.00 little voltage
tester, the kind with two prongs and little christmas tree bulb,

shows
no juice at switch (touch ends to the exposed wire ends) or at the
fixture (again, touch ends of tester to exposed house wire in box).
Have checked and turned off and on circuit breaker (upgraded

panel),
and no problems with anything else on that circuit. Do I need to

try
a better tester, or is everything fried somewhere in the line,

leaving
the choice of no more fixture or ripping apart plaster in old
house(cha-ching cough cough)?

There are many possible issues. I am going to suggest that from

the
information you have provided, you are not really ready to go about

checking
for this kind of problem.

Are you familiar with the various ways a light and switch may be

wired?
Have you tested the wires in a way that would account for all those

ways?

I suggest that you may want to start by buying a good book at the

DIY
store or book store and read the section on home wiring. Learn it

will
before you start working on this project. Old homes can have many

surprises
in the wring. Someone who does not really understand what is going

on may
see something that may look OK but it may be a dangerous situation

unknown
to them.

You may want to call in a professional.

I am sorry, but from the information you have provided I can't

offer
specific advice on how to proceed safely in this kind of forum.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math