Michael Baugh

As I've said before, with details, any tile job
that includes mortar in any part is archaic, and that
there's a far better way.
My way.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the replies. Ken - I don't know where you live but here in
San Francisco there's no way you'd find someone to do a proper tile job
for $400. 3 day job? That's $16/hour... no way.

But right now the green board is around the tub going up to the 10'
ceiling. Again, the contractor's plan is to install wonderboard on top
of the green board 6 feet above the tub and put tile on top that. It
sounds like that it would be better to have just the wonderboard
against the studs but is there anything *bad* about this install
method. The green board is already installed - should I rip it out? Ken
your remark about the flange is not a big deal. The wonderboard will
come over the flange and just grout/sealant/whatever at that join.

And yes I understand that mortar is the best way to do the job but I'm
not considering that here.

One thing I like about this plan is that the tile part will be 3/4"
from the wall giving a thicker look to the tile which I like better
than just a "surface mount" tile job.

Thanks.