This is a very long shot I know, but there may be something else to be
said for leaving appliances in standby other than mere convenience.

With regard to TVs (especially cheaper ones but I have seen this in a
few ITT and Grundigs too!) where the mains switch is soldered directly
to the mainboard, constant use of this switch, and the resulting
movement, sometimes makes it work itself loose or the soldering to
crack, and the set to become intermittent, leading to other problems.

I have seen this many times on sets whose owners insist on powering
down with the hard on-off instead of standby.
Still, I doubt this is a major issue in the general scheme of
things.....

regards, Ben