Unknown

On 7 Feb 2005 19:43:36 -0800, wrote:

,;I agree that 10 g's is a small shock. But think about it this way.
,;160 lb man drops 16 feet onto his neck. He hits at about 32 feet per
,;second or about 20 mph. If he decelerates at 10 g's, the force is 1600
,;lb force. The energy is 2560 ft lbs.
,;
,; You want me to believe that a helmet will protect me at higher speeds.
,; Now if I had to be involved in an accident at a higher speed, I would
,;want a helmet. I am just not sure it would be enough to be of any real
,;help if I went over the handlebars and hit something halfway hard head
,;first.

It did for me. Some jerk came across three lanes of traffic and pinned
me against the curb. I would estimate my speed at about 30 mph and I
didn't see him coming until it was to late to avoid him. The front
bumper hit my bike just behind the front wheel at about a 45 degree
angle. I think the motor guard prevented a mangled left leg. I cleared
the handle bars, cleared the hood of his car, and landed on my head.
Fortunately my forward momentum carried me into a full roll and I
rolled up to a standing position without a scratch but somewhat
disoriented. I suspect that without the helmet I would have had some
serious damage leading to death or permanent disability.

I finally gave the bike riding up and bought an MGB. When I come to a
stop sign I don't need to put my foot on the ground and if it starts
to rain I don't need to search for an overpass.