Default New wall light switch: spotlights keep blowing

I changed the wall light switch a couple of days ago. It operates a
spotlight with 3 x mains 40W reflector bulbs. Although the wires are
coded using the old colors (red, black etc.) everything seemed to go
well and it seemed to be a simple swap out of an exisiting unit.

But since changing the wall light switch, two of the spotlights have
blown as I switched on. One rather noisily this morning.

Coincidence or duff wiring? I plan to re-examine the wiring. Trouble
is, its dark when I get back from work, so I need the lights on!

Bruce