Ross Mac

"NSN" wrote in message
I am working on a project and will have to drill 8 holes in 8-18
stainless steel. The stock is 3/16" thick. I have good equipment ..
drill press, machinist vise, sharp drill bits, etc. The holes will be
13/32" in size.

Shall I drill in one step or start with a pilot hole and enlarge. If
the latter, what drill sizes should I use?

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Norm

I would make certain to use a good entry material, well clamped to the
stainless steel. This way the burrs will be on the entry and not on the
finished product. As far as what material to use for this....just pick
something close in hardness to stainless and maybe 1/8" thick or so....Make
a few test holes in scrap if you aren't comfortable with the setup....good
luck...Ross