Mike Marlow

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

I burned wood from a 1993 ice storm for about 6 years, without touching
a single tree of my own. Also, if you let locals know you'll take down
(easy) trees in exchange for the wood, you can cut all day, every day
if you want.

Holy Cow Dave! 6 years on a wood pile? Where the hell did you stack this
wood to protect it well enough to last 6 years? That's some longevity for a
pile of firewood.

I do agree with what I snipped from your post though. There's a ton of wood
out there to be had for free. Storm damage, deadfall (10 acres of woods
will provide enough deadfall to provide most homes with casual use firewood
every year), and best of all - follow the loggers around. Most aren't
bothering with firewood much anymore because the market isn't big enough
anymore to warrant the effort. Landowners don't like the tops just left out
in the woods the way loggers like to do and they'll often gladly let you
clean up the mess. Free firewood - don't get much better than that unless
you can actually get someone else to put it up for you.
--

-Mike-