Doug Miller

In article , "SteveW" wrote:
I need to find a type of tree to plant that will give me good quality
firewood in a short amount of time. Someone mentioned Poplar to me. Does
anyone have any recommendations?

Principal recommendation: abandon the idea, on two grounds.

First, the best firewood comes from slow-growing trees such as oaks,
hickories, and sugar maples. The wood of fast-growing trees is inherently less
dense, and hence does not make as good firewood, as the wood of slow-growing
trees. Poplar specifically is not good firewood; it burns rapidly, and has
little fuel value.

Second, and more important, you will not get a reasonable *quantity* of
firewood "in a short amount of time" from *any* tree that you plant. That just
doesn't happen. Not by _human_ standards, anyway. Thirty years *is* "a short
amount of time" _to_a_tree_.

Secondary recommendation: there are ways of getting cheap firewood, as long
as you're willing to work for it. If your city or state government removes a
tree, you may be able to get the wood just by asking for it (as long as you're
able to haul it away). If you have a chainsaw, you could offer to cut up
fallen trees (or limbs) for your neighbors after a storm, in exchange for the
wood. In some states, you can get firewood *very* cheaply in state-owned
forests. Here in Indiana, for example, the state sells logging rights to
commercial timber harvesters. The commercial guys are usually interested only
in the first 30-40' of trunk, and they leave the rest on the ground. After
they're done, Joe Citizen can come in and take whatever he wants for three
bucks a pickup truck load.

--
Regards,