tiredofspam

I have a pin oak that I cut down to make room for a pool. It doesn't
burn well at all. On the other hand, my walnut cut offs burn
beautifully.... the most fantastic no hassle burn... But it is too nice
a wood to burn.... use the wood, burn the discards.

Charlie Self wrote:
SteveW asks:

I need to find a type of tree to plant that will give me good quality
firewood in a short amount of time. Someone mentioned Poplar to me. Does
anyone have any recommendations?

Poplar is lousy firewood, whether hybrid, tulip or popple types. The only fast
growing hardwood I know of that MIGHT make semi-decent firewood in a few years
is pin oak. I've got a couple pin oaks that have grown at an incredible pace
for the past 15 years. Another year or two, and they'd make decent firewood. If
you expect trees to produce anything in much less time than that, you're
looking at cordwood and pulpwood.

Charlie Self
"I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush