julvr

Default Slides and Extenders

Hi, I'm currently in the process of designing an X table -- a folding
table whose legs form an X at the bottom. Like all my designs, it's
overly complicated, but it will have some neat features that you can't
get with other folding tables (should fold and store in less than 10
secs, adjustable height, etc).

The design is a lot like an ironing board. Unlike the ironing board
though, both legs will slide at the top -- not just one. This keeps
the 'X' centered to the table. I have three design issues with this
that I'd appreciate advise on (actually, four, but I'll post the
fourth as a seperate thread):

1) Making a sliding dovetail slide: In order for this to work, I
need to make several peices of wood slide together. I was thinking
of using my router with a dovetail bit, and make the male portion a
bit smaller (say 1/16") than the female slot. Is there any way to
treat the wood once cut so that it slides easily? Is there a
preferential type of wood to use for this?

2) Keeping things even: In order for the table to work, with both
slides have to move the same amount. That is, if one slide moves an
inch one way, the other slide has to move an inch in the opposite
direction. I can think of two ways to do this: One is to use a gear
system (similar to leigh valley's table extension hardware), the other
is to use two wires and two pulleys. The thing is, that this
mechanism is going to be weight bearing (It's not like I'll be
standing on the thing, but it does have to hold a 20"x40" peice of
plywood). Any advise on which would be better?

3) Slide Stoppers: When the slides have moved the correct amount, I
want the slides to lock into place to prevent the table from
collapsing). I want to use a spring loaded mechanism to press
against the sides of both slides to prevent them from moving. The
problem is that I don't think friction will be strong enough to hold
it in place. So what I want is some sort of locking hardware, like
say two complementing gear tracks. But, I have no clue where to get
something like that. Any ideas on that would be great too.

If anyone has any advise on any of these three, I'd love to hear it.
I will post some designs once I have built the prototype.

Thanks,

John