Doctor Evil

"Dave" wrote in message
HELP! I'm trying to decide between boilers again but it's finally crunch
time and I need to buy this week.

Looking at www.discountedheating.co.uk I'm puzzled by the fact that
system boilers are cheaper than the equivalent non-system boiler; this
doesn't seem logical because there's an extra pump, expansion vessel and
safety valve in the system boiler. Does it just reflect sales volumes or
is there something more subtle?

Reflects sales volumes. 99% of combi's are systems boilers with a water
section added. 60-70% of all boilers sold (1 million a year) are combi's,
so competition is hard and prices are driven down. It is sometimes cheaper
to buy a combi and not use the water section than buy an equivalent power
system boiler. I a few contractors who do this.

There seems to be nothing between the W-Bosch 28HE and Glow worm 30SXI;
prices and features are all similar BUT both have fixed-speed pumps
rather than self adapting pumps (e.g. alpha) - is this likely to be a
problem with a 3 zone (+ DHW) system?
The alternative is a non-system boiler 29HE or 30HXI but that's another
£140+ for the boiler, alpha pump, expansion vessel, etc.

Any suggestions on how to choose (other than availability) between W-B,
GW or ... ???
--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)