Ross Mac

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
oups.com...
I read that teflon tape should never be used on the threads of a water
heater anode rod because it electrically insulates the anode from the
tank and prevents it from protecting the tank. But I recently bought a
State brand heater containing two anode rods. One rod screws in the
normal way, but the other hangs from the hot water outlet by a 1" piece
of plastic, and it's definitely insulated from the tank. So does this
mean that the anode doesn't have to directly contact the tank?

The whole idea of a sacrificial anode is to force the electrical charge to
plate off the least noble of metals, which in a water heaters case, is zinc
or some composite thereof. So I cannot imagine why it would be isolated. Try
calling the manufacturer at their 800 number and ask for tech
support...perhaps they can enlighten you and perhaps me too....Ross