bigtom

im in Melbourne, Australia out in the suburbs. its a small home next
on its own block of land.
the drill/saw noises are only occasional.
its the other appliances in my home that cause the main problems.
I tried the am radio method next to the washing machine/light switches
and the further i move the radio away, the less noise it makes.
It sounds like the noise is being introduced through the wiring.

Where are you located - Country and state? Are you in the city,
suburbs, rural, nearest house, nearest garage where drill/power saw is
operated, etc?

What is your power source? It sounds like it must be a fairly high
impedance source, or you have the worst possible luck concerning
inferior electronic equipment.

The first thing to do is determine if the noise is coming into the
electronics via radiated signals, or if it is coming in on the AC power
lines. The best way to determine this is with a portable/battery
operated am/fm radio. When the interference is occurring, take the
radio and place it right next to the AC power line feeding the
appliance that is being interfered with.

Tune the radio on sam and/or fm until you can hear the same noise in
the radio that you see/hear on whatever is being interfered with (EUT).
Then, without changing the orientation of the radio, move it away from
the power line. If the noise decreases, then noise is most likely
being introduced into the EUT via the AC power line. A filter on the
input of the EUT should have a positive effect. On the other hand, if
the noise from the radio continues as it is moved away from the power
line, then you have a radiated noise problem. Only a stronger signal
will help.

Please provide more info, I have many years solving interference
problems and served as president of the IEEE Electromagnetic
Compatibility Society so we may be able to figure out what is
happening.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann