AAvK

I'd definitely recommend a tail vise. Once you get used to a tail vise and
dogs you will not be able to live without one. I built mine sort of like
the "Fortune vise" design in The Workbench Book, but instead using
commercially available sliding vise hardware such as Lee Valley #70G09.01.

For economy's sake, I use a beech-lined Chinese quick release clamp front
vise. It's a clone of a Record vise. The expense of a patternmaker's vise
would be difficult for me to justify since the front vise is rarely used
compared to the tail vise.

Here's a pic of the workbench I built:
http://home.earthlink.net/
~nateperkins1/Woodworking/projects/workbench04/P8260198.JPG

That dovetail pin work is really sharp on the tail vise Nate. On the actual jaw face
it prevents wood from wearing down over time around any laminated glue lines.
Cool work. Starting to think here, about faces for my tail vise jaws.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com