Steve@carolinabreezehvac

wrote in message
On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 09:39:46 -0500, "Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Sucks when you assume that just because I own an HVAC company, that I

run
it
like half the other guys do...

Thank you for making my point. I'd rather attempt to fix it myself
than take a 50/50 chance of being robbed.

LOL...ok...

You have a unit not working.
You call a company and they come and fix it correctly.
You have heat, and a bill. How are you robbed?

I could get robbed by at least three ways.

1. I would rob myself of learning how the darn thing works if I didn't
at least attempt to investigate the problem.

That would be called 4 years of a tech school....that is required to work on
any gas burning furnace, or electric furnace, or oil burning furnace in most
jurisdictions.
I will not hire a tech unless hes got at LEAST 2 under his belt, and can be
verified.

2. I would rob from my bank account if I paid someone else to
unnecessarily fix a problem that I am capable of fixing myself.

Thats called paying a bill, in a free enerprise system, not getting robbed.

3. I would get robbed if I happened to chose the 50% of pro's that
have no problem in inflating the cost of the job.

The other 50% that I was talking about, simply have higher overhead. The
customer pays for everything, everywhere...you do know that right?

I think the point you are missing, is that there are laws in place to
prevent the uneducated from working on their own units in many areas and

for
good reason.

This may be true but there are no laws that can guarantee that you
won't get robbed by a pro, and there are no laws that say a pro must
be smarter than you.

Ok....first of all, if a consumer calls say, 4 different companies, and lets
just say for arguements sake, there are only 4 in their state....
they get prices of $4500, $5500, $6500, and $7500 for the same size
unit....installed.
The 4500 quote is for a system, alone, 10SEER
The 5500 is for the same
the 6500 one is for a 12 SEER unit, with a digital stat,
and the 7500 one is for a 12SEER unit with a digital programmable stat,
longer warranty, labor warranty, and humidifier with humidistat.
Who is trying to rob the customer?