Joseph Smith

Personally I was raised with the "you make your bed,
you lie in it" type of mentality. But if the government
MUST, then a mandated IRA or other fairly safe
account/fund would be okay w/me. JUST AS LONG
AS I OWN THE ACCOUNT, not the government!
Maybe I'm outdated and maybe because I came from
a family that didn't have a lot and asked for even less;
but I don't get this mentality of wanting the government
to provide so much and be such a big part of one's life.

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
In article UrxNd.20739$uc.13322@trnddc03, says...
wish they would come out with a voluntary "opt out"
program. I am 37 now and have been employed for
20 years. I would gladly give up all SS benefits and
let the government keep what I've already paid into
the system if they'd let me out of it so I could take
that money and start up my own IRA or low/med
risk fund. That way if I die at 64 (one year before I
could draw on SS) at least my family would get the money.

And what happens to all the people who opt out and get old and/or
disabled without any voluntary savings? They all go on welfare? We let
them die? We euthanize them?