Silvan

Roger amd Missy Behnke wrote:

removed caused very minor pitting on the back of the iron. It was very
fine
and hard to see, but bad enough to degrade the edge I was working for. So

I can second that one. I've got some old irons that are fine, but some that
just aren't workable because of pitting on the back. It makes the edge
collapse far too easily, and it doesn't take hardly any pitting at all to
cause this.

now I use the old irons for practice and purchased new Hock irons.
Sharpening and planing became the rewarding experiences they were meant to
be

I'll also throw out that Lee Valley sells both Hock and Veritas irons for
the same price. They claim their irons are made of a better alloy than
Hock. So far, I have only bought one, and I bought Veritas. Next time
I'll buy a Hock, and see which I like better. I think they're both the
same thickness. Serious hunk of edge those things. Probably worth putting
on any plane you care about just to make it work better.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/