Grant Erwin

No question ebay has had a profound influence on shaping the world of personal
selling. If you take an intro economics class you are quickly taught that all
economic theory is based on the assumption of an ideal marketplace i.e. one
in which if anyone anywhere offers a good or service at a price then everyone
everywhere knows all about it. Well, for many years many businesses ran and
made a fat living just on the fact that marketplaces WEREN'T ideal. If a kid
in North Seattle wanted a used Fender Stratocaster he could buy one out of
the paper, look in the pawnshops, or look at a used guitar store. Did any of
those places give him an idea of how much such an instrument would cost if
he bought one in Los Angeles? No. Result was the pawnshops and used guitar
stores could mark their Strats way up and the market artificially inflated.
Then along came ebay and suddenly most of the used guitar stores are gone
and pawn shops are back to gold watches and ghetto Peavey guitars again. And
they bitch like crazy, saying "ebay wrecked the musical instrument market".
Not from where I sit, it didn't! It just cut out a whole ****load of middlemen,
and lets buyers get more and sellers pay less.

Ideally, anyway ..

GWE

Waynemak wrote:

Will eBay kill all the good deals??

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

David Yoder wrote:

My father was a machinist his whole life and passed away a few years ago.
My mother wants to sell his tools but she's not sure where to start, and
neither am I. Can anyone give me some ideas on how to proceed? She
lives
near Fort Wayne, IN if that's any help.

I suggest you price about 15% below current ebay pricing -- this will make
demand nice and snappy. If it were me I'd sell the more expensive items on
ebay and put the rest in one batch on craigslist.org - GWE