Larry Jaques

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 04:12:23 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan
spake:

I tried doing it on my belt sander, but then I eventually realized I have a
bunch of screwed up plane irons in my inventory. Not screwed up beyond
salvaging, but screwed up enough that I'm back to doing it the old
fashioned way. The sander was not removing material evenly, even though I
did everything humanly possible to ensure that it should have every
opportunity to do so. Sigh.

So now I get the initial bevel the same way I do everything else. One
stroke at a time. It's extremely tedious, and takes forever, but there's
almost no opportunity to screw anything up at that speed.

Try a diamond plate. They work a hell of a lot faster than stones,
they never need flattening, and they work well DRY. (Less messy.)
If I wake up and my house is on fire, I'll grab my DMT plate before
leaving the building.

So the lesson you can take from this is that screw-ups like us can still
make stuff out of wood anyway. Screw it. It's not like we're getting
paid, right? We still make better stuff, mungled and bungled and
beflungled though it may be, than the vast majority of tool-less wimp wussy
boys who don't know which end of a hammer to use to open a paint can.

Cheer up.

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design