Roger amd Missy Behnke

Damn sorry about the spelling errors. Thought I had spell check on.
Corrected version below.
"Roger amd Missy Behnke" wrote in message

. I got
what I thought was a close bevel, but using the Veritas honing jig the
honed
line always seems skewed - I could never get it perpendicular to the
blade
edges...

I had the same poblem so I scribed a line perpendicular to the edge of my
bench. I line the chisel or iron up with that line while holding the front
edge of the honing jig against the front edge of the bench. Works pretty
well.

Finally I got close (after 3 hours),

You'll get that reduce to a much shorter time as you get some more
practice in.

but my jointed edges do not make an invisible seam when glued

Do you clamp the blards together so that you are plaing the edges at the
same time? That little trick did wonders for my joints.

. So, is it better to toss the old
tools, start with new planes and get new blades etc.,

I had similar doubts. I took a very close look at the irons that were in
the old planes I had aquired and saw a problem. The surface rust I had
removed caused very minor pitting on the back of the iron. It was very
fine and hard to see, but bad enough to degrade the edge I was working
for. So now I use the old irons for practice and purchased new Hock
irons. Sharpening and planing became the rewarding experiences they were
meant to be

Roger