Dave in Fairfax

Dukester wrote:
So the sloppy throat adjustment and messed up frog mechanisms are fixable?
Between Memphis, TN and Jackson, MS btw. Back to you.

Unless you've removed alot of metal trying to make it right, yes.
The problem is *probably* that you've got a slanted cutting edge
when compared to the side of the blade. Making that a 90 degree
angle is the critical part to start with. The next part is that
the frog and its bed match up and theat the frog is sitting
parallel to to the throat when you sight down it and out through
the hole from the back of the frog. Sorry, I don't know of a
better way to describe it, that's why I recommended finding
someone to help you. Old blades, in general, are better than the
new blades, certainly if you're buying Stanley or Buck or Great
Neck. If you want to spend some serious money, there are VERY
nice blades available that will start out sharp and square. A
Hock blade will run you about $35, but if you put it in the plane
and the adjuster is centerline, then you KNOW the old blade wasn't
ground square. Conversely, if the adjuster isn't centered, you
know the frog and its bed are the problem and you can work on them
until the adjuster IS centered. Sor of using a known blade as a
gauge. Roger is giving you good advice as is Silvan.

If you have a digital camera and a trysquare, mark your blade as
Roger suggested and send me a pic, less than 100K please, and I'll
try to help you through the problem. I take it that you fettled
the frog as described in Jeff Gorman's website:
http://www.amgron.clara.net/planingp...planeindex.htm You
might want to read all the way through his website, BTW, it's
really first rate.

Try not to do anything irreversibel and we'll see what we can do
about it. Fairfax, BTW is in VA.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader