On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:06:40 GMT, someone wrote:

That I understand. But the homes I'm curious about are built directly
on the highway in the middle of large, undeveloped areas where much of
the adjacent property is still for sale.

Okay, yeah, that's a Q. Would be interesting to find out how much (if
any) less $ the homes go for. One thing to consider - where do the
buyers come from - if they are city people buying their first suburban
home, a coupla thousand bucks may make a big difference to them, AND
it may not occur to them that it is noisy when compared to where they
already lived. Not everyone EXPECTS "quiet" as a criteria in a new
house.

There are some people around the corner from me, whose house is an old
mill only a few feet from the state highway. They are owners, they
are educated people, they are not hurting for money. They did tell me
that they were certainly not going to buy a house where they might
have trouble getting out to the road in the winter (some nights you
can't get up the hill I live on without 4WD). Apparently the trucks
whizzing by don't bother them, and perhaps they think that I am nuts
for building in such an inaccessible palce.

-v.