John Rumm

T i m wrote:

So then Canon printers were put forward but again we are talking a
fixed pint head (on newer models possibly) and again the 'blocked
nozzles' thing comes up.

I have used Epsons inkjets myself for many years and have generally not
had issues with clogging, that a cleaning cycle or two would not fix.
Having said that, I have had a couple of clients with dead Epsons
recently - both C82s - that no amount of cleaning would fix.

The HP's seem to have less issues with this and if you should get a
blocked nozzle a new cart sorts that ;-)

Yup, the price you pay is the cost of the cart.

I looked at the Epson Stylus C66 (44+Vat in Makro, no stock) and from
there the Canon IP4000 (at nearly double the price) that has 5 carts
and can print CD's etc (also feels very substantial) ;-)

I installed a Canon Pixmar? IP3000 recently. That was actually quite
impressive. Uses sepearate ink tanks (no print head, no chip!), these
are clear so you can see the ink level inside them nicely. The canon
originals are only something like 5.50 each. Compatible carts can be had
for under a quid! Hence running costs are very low.

The print head itself a plug in module, and hence also redilly
replaceable - this would seem to be a good solution to the "printhead
in cart" dilemma.

Wish list for said printer ..

Lower paper tray type feed (I don't like the paper sticking up at the
back)

The above mentioned canon has a lower tray (like a laser), the
traditional vertical slot at the back, and also a CD printing slot at
the front.

USB (for simplicity) and Parallel (cheap net printservers ertc).

USB certainly, can't remember if it had parallel.

Cheap carts (price / page)

See above!

'Reasonable' picture printing (I'm not a photographer)

Check

Quick startup and print (not fast printing as such) the Epsons seem to
go off on their own thing for 5 mins ..)

Seemed to be under 5 secs.

--
Cheers,

John.