Dukester

Default Frustration level: high

First, let me say this isn't meant to be a whining post, just looking for
guidance. I'm running into what I can only describe as sheer frustration
lately with getting anything right in the woodshop. My jointer knives need
sharpening so I got the Veritas honing jig (don't ask me why I didn't just
get new blades). I thought sharpening should be easy using this. I was
doing the Scary Sharp thing for what seemed like hours and could not get one
knife sharp. No they aren't carbide blades. I mean it may as well have been
an eraser on the end. I could not even get the wire edge with 60 grit
sandpaper so I went to the bench grinder...mistake. Shwoop, into the trash
they go.

Well I have some hand planes I wanted to try anyway, maybe I can joint my
project edges by hand. I picked up some planes off Ebay, and a couple at
flea market sales. I spent maybe $150 on a #4, 5, 6, 7. But getting them
in working order has been a,..umm.challenge. The frog on the 7 won't keep
the iron straight - I have to move the adjustment lever waaaay over almost
bending it in half to getthe bevel sticking out straight and not skewed.
Then it won't stay this way. I can't get the sharpening thing down on any
of the blades. I have Lee's book on sharpening, but can't find anything on
how you grind the initial bevel? No way I'm trying the bench grinder again.
I tried the stationary belt sander and did nothing but make a mess. I got
what I thought was a close bevel, but using the Veritas honing jig the honed
line always seems skewed - I could never get it perpendicular to the blade
edges.... Finally I got close (after 3 hours), then tried planing the
edges...but my jointed edges do not make an invisible seam when glued
together...argh..saw it in half...start over.

I go in there thinking that I have to do all these things like the pros do..
sharpen like a wiz, plane like a pro. And I know I'm trying this all on my
own without anyone to guide me along. So, is it better to toss the old
tools, start with new planes and get new blades etc., and a Tormek or Makita
wet grinder for sharpening? It seems like I've spending way more time
just trying to fix and fiddle with stuff or tools that are already crippled
and attempt to learn repair, sharpening etc. than actually working wood.

Sigh.