jim rozen

In article , Don Foreman says...

I did think about putting the switch in the mount, but it was easier
to put it where I did. No wires; the inside of the housing is
"slick". The elex, LED, switch and battery contact plate are all
within an axial space of about 1/2". No problem with suggested
improvements, though. Mark II's are always better than Mark I's!

The reed switch is a great approach. I had an inexpensive
strobe that used that approach - the lens was waterproof with
an O-ring, the magnet on the exterior of the case turned it
on.

I cannot find if you mentioned this, but there seemed to be
a single 8-pin SOIC chip on the board - what was it? I could
not see any inductors so I guess it's not a flyback circuit.

The only comment I could make about this is, you might consider
making the next one with an amber or yellow LED. Reason being
that the human eye's response peaks around that wavelength.
You get a lot more bang for the buck that way, in terms of
the number of neurons you fire in the subject's brain, vs
the number of watts you burn in the LED.

Jim

please reply to: