Ted

Ed, I've been riding for many years. I see what abate publishes, and
I think what they do is a travesty. Helmet use for me is a given - but
I don't think that helmet laws (for *adults*, kids are another matter)
are good in general. Folks should be free to splatter their brains
on the pavement at will... especially the dumb ones.

Nice sentiment g, but it's a very expensive one for you and me. From SS
survivor's benefits, to increased insurance rates, to increased hospital
costs for uninsured patients, to the social costs of families that have lost
a provider, you and I pay, and pay, and pay for the assholes who don't wear
helmets.

There is no reason in the world not to require them, any more than there's a
reason not to require wearing a seat belt in a car. Driving and riding are
not "rights" under the law. They're priviledges, and the laws surrounding
them are based on avoiding social costs and what the economists call
"externalities."

And that's the only conclusion that makes any sense, IMO.

--
Ed Huntress

And the next conclusion would be that car drivers must also wear
helmets. The resulting drop in mortality and morbidity, because of the
much larger numbers of car drivers and passengers, would overwhelm the
deaths and injuries accumulated by motorcyclists.

I suppose it comes down to what is politically possible.

Ted

--
Ted Bennett
Portland, OR