B.B.

In article ,
"HoloBarre©®" wrote:

Whatsa "welding beanie"?

Pointy fabric hat worn under a welding helmet so slag doesn't stay in
your hair. Keeps the "halo" of the helmet from digging in, too.

Different aps require different filters, eg tig is darker than stick.

Yeah, 10 is the minimum, while 11 or 12 is recommended for comfort in
all the standard charts, so I'm not too abnormal.

Also I have read cautionary tales about viewing cooling welds (white hot to
red to dark), which some say still emits damaging infra red as well as uv.
I think I read this in a machine manual somewhere, as well. I love welding,
but this eye business has quite curtailed my indulgence.
Too bad the welding course I took was run by a 90 year old Alzheimer's
patient. I wound up w/ near second-degree burns from tigging w/o gloves.
Took months to heal. Go figger.

I noticed that I didn't much like looking at cooling welds, so I keep
my helmet down until I can't see a glow anymore.

sci.engr.joining.welding is the welding newsgroup, proly get many more
interesting and detailed responses, esp. on technique.

Probably, but I know folks in here, and rcm has been plenty helpful
so far.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/