N. Thornton

Default Green ooze from house wiring

roger wrote in message ...
In article , Simon Avery
roger wrote:

r| A friend asked me to look at his house wiring because green
r| stuff was oozing out of L & N at most of the 13A sockets in
r| the house. He wasn't kidding - it's like Lyles Golden Syrup,
r| but bright green instead of golden. It is *not* corroding
r| the copper wires at all, but the brass pins of 13A plugs are
r| blackened. The wiring and house are about 25 years old, dry
r| and in vg condition, standard 7/029 T&E. The effect was
r| first noticed about 5 years ago. Earth wires are clean,
r| except where some goo has dripped on them. Insulation is
r| fine - over 100M on the circuit I tested. Stripping back a
r| bit of neutral insulation, the goo appears to be in
r| the strands.

Hi

Someone suggested cleaning with alcohol: just one point, alcohol
contains water, and water conducts. So very thorough drying would be
needed (ie plenty of time to dry) before repowering.

I have experienced goo coming through the ceiling and out of vents
before, but that was down to honey leaking from a bees nest.

At first I read it as 'god' not goo!

Regards, NT