Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote
| "Cuprager" wrote
| ... she estimated in all seriousness that her clothes etc were
| valued to the sum of about 5k !!!
| I doubt that mine would be £100.
| No-one would give me that for them!

It's not what people would give you that matters, it's what it would cost
replace them, from new, in a hurry. The chances of BHF[1] having a
collection of Daks, Austin Reed and Hardy Amies suits in my size when I
need
them urgently is small.

I wouldn't want to replace any of my clothes exactly! I have no interest in
clothes as long as they fit, they're comfortable, they protect me from cold
and the horses from being frightened, they're in natural fabrics and aren't
frightfully ugly they'll do. Tenofus or its equivalent can usually come up
with something :-)

| That's one reason why we don't have house insurance any more.

That's okay if you can either afford to replace anything lost
(self-insurance) or do without.

Do without is the thing. I'd quite like to lose some things but would feel
guilty about dumping them. Very little of what we have is essential. The
things we really value are irreplaceable anyway.

Many people would need reasonably good new
clothes quickly to go to work.

Oh I'm not advocating that everyone should have such a philosophy! We don't
go to work so don't have to keep up appearances.

Owain

[1] I do mean British Heart Foundation, not British Home Stores.

I realised :-)

Mary