Jeff

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

I think this is just on topic... (and I'm asking here because quite a
few printers are UK only and we may have different price issues) ..

The inks on my trusty HPDJ 840c (that I bought as a refurb 3 years ago
for 25 quid) have now both run out again and a casual look through PCW
showed they were 26 and 17 or so (ouch). Also the printer has ejected
a couple of small components (that I have kept and should be able to
refit) so thought it might bre time to get a replacement printer.

So I do a bit of Googling / asking mates etc and the Epson's seem
quite common as do cheaper carts, but they do seem to have issues with
print heads getting blocked if the printer isn't used regularly (I use
mine sporadically.

So then Canon printers were put forward but again we are talking a
fixed pint head (on newer models possibly) and again the 'blocked
nozzles' thing comes up.

The HP's seem to have less issues with this and if you should get a
blocked nozzle a new cart sorts that ;-)

I looked at the Epson Stylus C66 (44+Vat in Makro, no stock) and from
there the Canon IP4000 (at nearly double the price) that has 5 carts
and can print CD's etc (also feels very substantial) ;-)

Someone suggested the actual page cost for most of these printers are
very similar (HP carts twice the price but do twice the number of
pages type of thing) so it's possibly down to initial price,
reliability and flexibility.

Wish list for said printer ..

Lower paper tray type feed (I don't like the paper sticking up at the
back)

USB (for simplicity) and Parallel (cheap net printservers ertc).

Cheap carts (price / page)

'Reasonable' picture printing (I'm not a photographer)

Quick startup and print (not fast printing as such) the Epsons seem to
go off on their own thing for 5 mins ..)

I don't want to have to print something 'everyday', just to keep the
thing working cleanly ?

So, could you give me real feedback re what model printers you use
(ideally the current models if I'm going to get one), how long you
have left them between use and still getting a good printout and
possibly what models to specifically avoid (unreliable / several trips
to the shop with it etc).

Lastly, does anyone regularly re-fill their carts and what 'brand'
refill kits do you use please (I have refilled a couple of times with
mixed results).

All the best and thanks for your time ..

T i m

(p.s. I have asked similiar on comp.perifs.printers but they seem
mostly from 'Over the pond' )

I used to run an HP850c and what you say is correct, superb printing and
basically a new printer every time you change the carts but at £50 a time
for carts it had to go to the attic ( too tight to throw anything away )
next
Canon S6000 - general printing, still ok
next
Canon i550 - general printing, faster - lasted 26 months
next
epson 900 - disk printing - current
next
canon ip3000 - current

the canons do suffer with the problem of clogged heads if stood for a long
time as do the epsons, the i550 died 3 months ago, needed a new printhead
which at £75 was an uneconomic repair so it was replaced with the ip3000, i
wish i had got the ip4000 for the extra cartridge ( better for photo
printing)

But at £2 a cart, a bit of head cleaning now and again is only a minor chore
(£5 a set for the epson)

imho - the ip4000 fullfills all of your criteria and gives you duplex and
disk printing into the bargain

Hope this helps

Regards Jeff