John Biddiscombe

Default The Monkeys are alright! (was : cutting a kitchen worktop)

A while ago I asked about advice on cutting a kitchen worktop. I was warned
about letting the monkeys from B&Q cut the mitred joins for me, but
fortunately, monkeys at Ikea were providing mine. I'm glad to say that the
mitred join looks smashing and they did all right. Bananas all round.

On the cutting subject...I experimented when cutting the cutouts for the
sink and hob with laminate blades for the jigsaw. I found them to be too
blunt (?), I would've spent weeks cutting through if I'd used it for the
whole lot. A normal jagged blade went through like butter - but as expected
gave a pretty poor finish on the laminate edges as they were ripped up a
bit. This didn't bother me as they will be under the sink and hob - and thus
invisible. For the ends of the breakfast bar that are visible I ended up
using a hand saw and the result is pretty good. The machined ends are
slightly straighter, but unless you were really looking, you'd never know.
So in future I'll do all visible bits with a hand saw.

cheers

JB