Bjarte Runderheim

"George" george@least skrev i melding ...

Scraping is more likely to cause those problems associated with forcing,

and
broad scraping angles pick up and sometimes tear out fiber - a material
consideration the milling process doesn't have to worry about. One thing
that puzzles me about scrapers is that the best scraping technique, had it
been applied while using a gouge, would have made scraping unnecessary.

Shearing does not produce scalloped surfaces - chatter from an

overextended
or dull tool, or a poorly supported piece of work produces a scalloped
surface.

Well said, George!
I completely agree.

As a beginner I used my couple of scraping tools a lot,
including some special Sorby-tool.

As I learn more about sharpening and the different uses
of gouges I find that two bowlgouges and two oval chisels
and a roughing iron is all I need for bowls and spindlework.

But I can see that the inside bottom of small boxes would be a challenge,
if ever I tried one!

Bjarte