Jon Elson

Default What parts to salvage/sell from a UPS?

Ignoramus18142 wrote:

I have three UPSes:

1. Clary OnGuard 3 phase 5 kVa UPS, no batteries
2. Clary OnGuard 1 phase 5 kVa UPS, no batteries
3. Ferrups 3.0 kVa inline model UPS (no outlets), no batteries

All are working.

I would like to demolish these UPSes, take out what I can sell and
auction these parts on ebay. I recently demolished an even bigger Data
General UPS (about 8 kW) and sold the capacitors from it for $75. The
rest is a big pile of unidentifiable parts. Some look like huge diodes
and transistors. I am afraid that some of those parts have value that
I would have hard times capturing (maybe I took apart a large and
usable rectifier, for example), so, I do not want to make the same
mistake again.

I would like to know which parts of those UPSes are really desirable.

Capacitors?

Rectifiers?

Anything else?

There ought to be some big power transistors or SCRs. The SCRs, and
maybe even
the transistors, might look like "hockey pucks" between two large heatsinks,
with bolts and springs compressing them between the sinks. Big transistors
may also look like plastic blocks bolted to the heatsinks. You might just
list these on eBay as separate items. The only people interested in
these might
be people fooling with electric vehicles.

And, you NEVER know what an item on eBay will bring. Some stuff I just
couldn't quite bear to throw away, so I listed them on eBay, brought amazing
bids. I sold a 1938 or so Bijur 35 mm movie camera that had been
modified into
a flight data recording camera by McDonnel-Douglas, maybe in the 40's or
50's,
for $264! I STILL can't get over that one! You just NEVER can predict who
is willing to pay how much for something.

Jon