HoloBarre©®

Whatsa "welding beanie"?
Different aps require different filters, eg tig is darker than stick.
Also I have read cautionary tales about viewing cooling welds (white hot to
red to dark), which some say still emits damaging infra red as well as uv.
I think I read this in a machine manual somewhere, as well. I love welding,
but this eye business has quite curtailed my indulgence.
Too bad the welding course I took was run by a 90 year old Alzheimer's
patient. I wound up w/ near second-degree burns from tigging w/o gloves.
Took months to heal. Go figger.

sci.engr.joining.welding is the welding newsgroup, proly get many more
interesting and detailed responses, esp. on technique.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
Today I realized that my eyes are a wee bit on the sensitive side.
And not just because I flashed myself twice. (:
A little back story: I had a rather severe eye infection at the
beginning of the semester, so I was partially blinded. Anyway, it's one
of those things you just have to wait out, and around tuesday or
wednesday I got rid of that last bit of cloudyness. Turns out that fuzz
was shielding my eyes a bit.
The result, I have to use a #11 filter instead of a #10 now. I
borrowed one of the teacher's helmets for the day since the class
helmets are all #10 and he'll sell it to me next week--$20. Yippie! I
also had the gaudy, ugly, stupid welding beanie on, which was quite
comfortable when I wasn't thinking how dumb it looked. That'll finish
up my "Stuff to buy for welding" list. Except maybe a shirt and pants
that don't smell like oil.
Today, I pulled ahead of the class, and finished the exercise early,
so next week I'll haul up the anvil and see if I can sneak in a little
work on it. Of course, I now have to figure out the logistical problem
of sticking that flaming hot anvil back in my car at the end of the day.
Perhaps I can befriend a classmate with a truck. Or I can stick it
into a steel toolbox I have lying around and insulate the holy hell out
of it--haul ass home before I toast my upholstery.
I was pondering all of this just as a hot chunk of slag hit me just
below the eye. Damnit! I have since learned how to hammer at such an
angle to spray the chips away from me.
The electrode got stuck a few times again, but nowhere near as often
or as badly as before. A little more CHDW* practice and I should have
it down.
Practice, practice, practice. Big vise grips are good too.

Question: do I need to be extra-careful to watch for porosity at the
start of a bead because of some physical phenomenon, or am I just moving
too quickly after I start a bead?
My first few beads today were pretty bad about pores at the beginning
of each bead, but the last were fine. I don't know if that was due to
improvement on my part or because the first time around I was welding on
top of mystery crap and the second time around I was on top of my own
welds.

*CHDW: Coat-Hanger Desk Welding

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/