Harvey Van Sickle

On 05 Feb 2005, T i m wrote

-snip-

So I do a bit of Googling / asking mates etc and the Epson's seem
quite common as do cheaper carts, but they do seem to have issues
with print heads getting blocked if the printer isn't used
regularly (I use mine sporadically.

So then Canon printers were put forward but again we are talking a
fixed pint head (on newer models possibly) and again the 'blocked
nozzles' thing comes up.

-snip-

So, could you give me real feedback re what model printers you use
(ideally the current models if I'm going to get one), how long you
have left them between use and still getting a good printout and
possibly what models to specifically avoid (unreliable / several
trips to the shop with it etc).

I'm very happy with the Canon I use (an i350, for home and one-man
business use), and when it eventually gives up -- it's out of
production now -- I'll definitely be going with Canon again.

It's not a fancy one -- two-cartridge (black + 3 colour) system -- but
I particularly like the fact that (a) even the brand-name cartridges
are cheap compared to many I've seen; and (b) I can buy very cheap
compatibles (which have always suited my purposes).

I've had blocked nozzles two or three times over the past two years or
so (after not using the colour for a bit), but the "standard cleaning"
(there's a "deep clean" option as well) has cleared it up every time.

Lastly, does anyone regularly re-fill their carts and what 'brand'
refill kits do you use please (I have refilled a couple of times
with mixed results).

I buy ready-filled compatibles from www.cartex.co.uk -- about £2 for
black and £3.50 for colour. They've always given me good service, and
at that price it doesn' seem worth re-filling them myself.

HTH

--
Cheers,
Harvey