Asimov

"WEBPA" bravely wrote to "All" (05 Feb 05 00:44:27)
--- on the heady topic of " Converting A Cassette Recorder?"

WE From: (WEBPA)
WE Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:9483

WE Missed the early parts of the thread but:

WE In the early 1970's someone (Analog Devices? Signetics? ) introduced a
WE single-chip analog device called VSC - "Variable Speech Control"
WE intended for "speed listening." It permitted continuous speed
WE adjustments of a tape recorder or record player ... without pitch
WE changes. I still have (somewhere) a demo recording bound in Electronics
WE magazine (NOT the consumer "Electronics", but the EE journal version
WE that preceded it). It was normal and speeded-up version of a very
WE boring lecture (didn't get more intersting at any of the increased or
WE decreased speeds.)
WE As far as I know, Sony was the only manufacturer that used this chip.
WE I still have a purse-size cassette recorder that has VSC, a V8 deck
WE (EV-C1) that has 2X playback with sound (same as your BII machine).

WE PC Software that can change an audio file's speed without changing
WE pitch (or pitch without speed change) is very common. I've used
WE CoolEdit for years to stretch/shrink sound to fit ill-formed *.avi and
WE *.mpg files.
WE p a w e b e r 0 2 @ a o l . c o m

Hi,

I've heard talk before on this group of a machine with a rotating
audio head that could vary the speed of the recording without altering
the pitch. Apparently it would vary the head's rotation speed in sync
with the tape speed so that the pitch stayed constant. I suppose it
was an early form of analog over-sampling...

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... A stereo system is the altar to the god of music.