BCD

I have the Lee Valley tapered plug cutters. I've used the heck out of them,
and they do a good job.

I had to cut 100 plugs in white oak for a porch swing, they did awesome (as
to the fit in the hole). My only complaint (and it was likely my fault for
being impatient when I was cutting so many) was that about every 15th plug
or so, the plug would snap off inside the cutter and I would have to stop
the drill press to dislodge the plug with a screwdriver.

As to your issue, wild guess...maybe the plugs weren't seated far enough
into the hole. I would think that with a softer hardwood such as cherry,
minor imperfections in the plug would be hidden when the plug was tapped
into place. Maybe you got the runt from manufacturing of that run of plug
cutters.

"Frank & Renee" wrote in message
Greetings,

Just finished a shaker style shelf made from cherry.....I tried using
countersinks and filling them with cherry plugs with my brand new tapered
plug cutter from "Rockler". After putting the first coat of Tung Oil on it
noticed there is a nasty looking black ring around the outside of the
plugs
( from the jagged edge on the plugs I guess) any suggestions on how to get
smooth, seemless plug........when cutting the plugs on the drill press,
should I use a fast speed or slow, or does it matter? Any help would be
greatly appreciated......

Bummin in NH

Frank